Dram Shop Liquor Liability And Drunk Driving Car Accidents

As a Delaware County resident, you work hard to support your family and occasionally go out to local bars, restaurants and clubs to relax. You are not a heavy drinker, but sometimes you have one too many alcoholic beverages. Though you have not had any issues with driving home afterward, there is always the risk of you hitting and critically injuring yourself and someone else and causing extreme property damage.

Though you might think you are responsible for the above scenario, a judge may determine that the place where you drank alcohol before your accident is financially liable. Here is what you should know about dram shop and liquor liability laws.

Intoxicated driving ruins lives

The aftermath of a drunk driving accident is often catastrophic for all involved parties, although many awareness programs focus on victims in the other vehicles. However, you could also end up with life-threatening injuries that result in the need for mental, physical and financial support to help you recover. You could incur extensive medical costs that can severely alter your standard of living.

Financial recompense is possible

In some cases, intoxicated motorists may seek compensation from liable parties, which could include the host and the establishment owner who overserved them. To prove a bar or restaurant is responsible, there are certain requirements. They include:

  • If you were still served drinks though you were visibly intoxicated
  • The number of drinks you had
  • If the server/establishment knew you would become a danger to yourself or others

There are other facts to consider which could make what appears to be an easy personal injury claim involving dram shop and liability much more complicated and challenging to win.

The best way to avoid this type of situation is not to drink and drive. You should stay observant of other motorists and stay away from those who show signs of intoxication. If you are dealing with injuries from a drunk driving car accident, you might want to speak to an attorney about the matter.