Car accidents happen every day in and around Allentown. While we always hope we can avoid a crash, that is not always the case. There may be a time when the careless or negligent actions of another driver cause you harm. At the Dan Doyle Law Group, we are ready to help you through the aftermath of a crash. We will investigate what happened and work to secure the compensation you deserve. When you need a car accident lawyer, we are ready to get to work.
PENNSYLVANIA CAR CRASHES ARE A COMMON OCCURRENCE
Looking at the newest data from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, we can see that there were 128,420 total car accidents reported in 2018. Out of those accidents, there were:
- 1,190 fatalities
- 78,219 injuries
When we look at those statistics, we know that many car accident injuries are minor. However, that does not mean they are inexpensive. Even minor injuries can lead to costly medical bills. The PA DOT also says that there were over 4,500 suspected serious injuries in the 2018 car crashes. These include:
- Broken or dislocated bones: Car accident victims have been known to suffer from broken legs, ribs, arms, ankles, and wrists. Sometimes a victim can suffer from a broken pelvis. The severity of the injuries relates back to the force of impact and if it is determined serious surgery may be the only option for repair.
- Severe lacerations or amputations: Body parts like arms, legs, fingers, and toes can all be severed in a crash. If damaged enough, surgical amputation will be performed on the victim.
- Internal organ damage: Car crashes if forceful enough will throw a body into an object, or the body will be hit by flying debris. This is where internal damage occurs.
- Internal bleeding: Similar to internal organ damage, whenever the body is thrown against an object or hit by flying debris with plenty of force, internal bleeding can happen. This type of injury requires emergency medical treatment immediately.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Occur when the brain is damaged by a blow or piercing injury to the head. Reports show that each year 50,000 people die from TBI and 80,000-90,000 suffer long-term disability.
- Spinal cord injuries: The severity of the car crash and its impact on the body can also cause long-term disability. The spinal cord serves an important purpose to the body and damage if significant enough can result in partial or total paralysis below the injury level.
- Burns: If a vehicle catches on fire after a collision and the skin comes into contact with hot fluids or surfaces the victim can suffer from burns. In the event of severe burns, surgery or skin grafting are treatment options.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: PTSD might not be what you expect a victim to suffer from a car accident. Well, usually this disorder occurs after the accident. You may start to notice how routine chores have now become worrisome or impossible to complete. Car accident injuries are not always physical, the mental and emotional toll it can take on your mind can be just as harmful.
Each of these injuries requires extensive medical care for the victim and can lead to enormous medical bills. There are other costs to consider in these situations as well, such as lost income, any necessary home and vehicle modifications, the cost of medical equipment, and more.
HOW DO THESE CRASHES HAPPEN?
The Pennsylvania DOT says that 85-90% of all traffic crashes involve some sort of driver error that contributes to the crash. In PA, some of the main causes of traffic crashes during the latest reporting year were:
- Speeding: Driving too fast greatly increases the chance of major injuries in a crash.
- Impaired driving: In 2018, there were 9,811 alcohol-related crashes, and these were responsible for 28% of all traffic crash fatalities. Sleep deprivation can also be just as harmful to a driver as alcohol consumption too.
- Distracted driving: When drivers are busy with their cell phones or other devices, they are much more likely to get into a crash. Other distractions like eating, drinking, applying makeup, reaching for objects, adjusting the radio, reading or sending emails and texts, and physical interactions with passengers take the driver’s attention from the road thus increasing the chances for an accident.
- Improper turns: Improper turns and failure to yield the right-of-way are often due to careless and inattentive drivers.
The majority of traffic crashes in the commonwealth involved passenger cars, SUVs, and light trucks. However, many crashes involved commercial vehicles such as passenger buses and heavy trucks. Commercial vehicle crashes can become complicated and often involve major companies and several insurance carriers.
LET US GET YOUR CASE STARTED TODAY
We believe you as the victim deserve personal attention. Our attorneys understand that if you are seriously injured you have no intention of being burdened with the legalities of the case. Instead of gathering evidence, information about the laws and rules for filing a claim you would rather focus your time on recovering. The Dan Doyle Law Group is here to take everything off your plate so you can rest. We will explain the law and legal process to clear up any misconceptions or confusion. Our team will investigate your accident to determine the most effective and efficient way to acquire the evidence of who was at fault. Then we research and prepare legal briefs and documents to present during negotiation phases. The attorneys of Dan Doyle Law Group never hesitate to go to court if the compensation offered is not appropriate or if negotiation efforts are not successful.
Getting into a car accident is scary, and the aftermath can turn into a confusing process. Your life can change in an instant forever. With the right legal team, you can rest assured that helping you is a top priority. You may need to seek legal assistance if another person caused your crash, and the Dan Doyle Law Group is ready to help. We are going to be your advocate and work to investigate what happened so we can secure the following:
- Coverage of your crash-related medical expenses
- Recovery of lost wages if you are unable to work
- Coverage of physical therapy
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
We work hard to come to a successful resolution to your case. Your well-being and health are a genuine concern of ours. Our commitment to you and the case will not leave you disappointed.