Roads in Philadelphia and other major cities across the US are becoming more congested. People are opting for bicycling as both an economic and an easier way to get around large cities. The Philadelphia bicycle accident attorneys at the Dan Doyle Law Group understand that not all drivers of motor vehicles are willing to share the road. We are here to help those injured by negligent or careless drivers.
Rising Fatalities in Bike Accidents
As more and more people are riding bicycles in major cities, accidents are on the rise. A greater percentage of these accidents are fatal. Why?
- Cities are planned for motor vehicles and changes to the infrastructure to support bicycle safety are slow-moving.
- Newer bicycle riders are not familiar with safe biking practices.
- Drivers are not operating their motor vehicles with the caution required of them by law.
Imagine living in the city and riding your bike to work one morning to avoid the major congestion on the road. Suddenly, a car door is flung open in front of you. Did you have time to stop?
Maybe one Sunday after you decide to take the kids on an afternoon bike ride, only to watch a car speed through that stop sign at the end of your road. Did your kids look both ways before they crossed?
2015 saw 467,000 bicycle-related injuries across the US with over 1,000 fatalities. The most at risk are
- Children between 5 and 14 years old and adolescents between 15 and 19 years old.
- Adults between 50-59 have the highest fatalities in bike-related crashes.
- Most deaths occur in urban areas and at non-intersection locations.
- 37% of bicycle deaths involve alcohol on either the driver’s part or the part of the bicyclist.
Pennsylvania law has changed to make the roads safer.
What is Pennsylvania doing?
Pennsylvania law grants bicyclists all the same rights and duties that are applied to drivers of motor vehicles. However, many drivers operate as if a bicyclist is an obstacle on the road. Some even treat bike riders like a nuisance and do not operate with the due care required of them. Such common causes of bicycle crashes are:
- Driver Inattention
- Failure to Yield
- Dangerous Road Conditions
- Riding at Night
With more bicyclists sharing the road, bike-related crashes are likely to increase.
You deserve to be compensated. Let us help.
When you need a Philadelphia bicycle accident attorney, the Dan Doyle Law Group will be by your side to secure the compensation you need and deserve, including:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Household expenses
- Lost wages if you are unable to work while in recovery
- Compensation for all medical expenses related to the crash
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent driver
- Pain and suffering damages
In Philadelphia, if you need a bicycle accident attorney you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 215-987-3730.