Slip and fall accidents can lead to serious injuries for a victim. What many people may not understand is that property owners have to keep their guests reasonably safe. If they fail to do so, they could be held liable for a slip and fall accident. At the Dan Doyle Law Group, our slip and fall accident lawyers in Philadelphia are ready to investigate your case to prove the property owner’s liability.
How to get compensation in these incidents
Slip and fall accidents are a regular occurrence according to the National Floor Safety Institute. Approximately one million people seek treatment in emergency rooms each year due to slip and fall injuries in this country. In many cases, these incidents are caused by the negligent actions of a property owner or their employees. However, while these cases may seem straightforward to the person who was harmed, proving who was at fault for these accidents can be difficult in an insurance case or lawsuit.
You need to be aware that property owners and their insurance carriers will do everything they can to avoid paying a settlement to somebody injured on their property. Unfortunately, most people injured in a slip and fall accident do not have the resources or experience necessary to properly determine liability.
A skilled Philadelphia premises liability attorney will work to determine liability by conducting a thorough investigation. They will use any available photo or video surveillance, eyewitness statements, and accident reports to determine whether:
- The owner or employee of the property caused the condition that led to the slip and fall. For example, there could have been an unclaimed spill, loose flooring material, low-lying obstacles, inadequate lighting, etc.
- The owner or employee of the property knew that there was a dangerous surface but did nothing to fix it or notify guests of the potential hazard.
- The owner or employee “should” have known about a potentially hazardous slip and fall surface and repaired it promptly.
Any person with legal responsibility for property is liable for what happens to those legally allowed to be there. This could be the property owner, property manager, or tenant. Your slip and fall attorney will work to determine which party is liable. In many cases, an insurance policy will relieve that party of liability, so a lawsuit would be against the insurance company and not the property owner.
Let us get to work today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a slip and fall accident on another person’s property, you may be entitled to compensation. At the Dan Doyle Law Group, our team is dedicated to investigating these cases improving the property owner’s fault so you can secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the incident
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the property owner
If you need a Philadelphia slip and fall accident attorney, you can contact us by clicking here or calling 215-987-3730 for a free consultation.