The last thing you expect during your stay in a hotel is getting injured or seeing your loved one sustain an injury. Unfortunately, as unexpected and unpleasant as they may be, hotel accidents do happen, and there is no getting around it. Sometimes, just being careful and taking safety precautions as a hotel guest is not enough to prevent an injury in a hotel accident.
The vast majority of hotel accidents in Pennsylvania occur due to the negligence of hotels, whether it’s their failure to provide adequate security, failure to clean up spills to prevent slip and fall accidents, or failure to ensure a safe environment for their guests.
Yes, suing some big-name, multi-billion-dollar hotel might seem like a scary experience that will cause you to fall flat on your face, but it does not have to be this way. After all, you can hire a Philadelphia hotel accident attorney from Dan Doyle Law Group to provide you the best legal representation you can possibly get to get you the compensation you deserve. Hotels’ defense lawyers are not that intimidating when you are being represented by a true professional who knows what he’s doing.
Hotel accidents do happen
Sure, when you check into a hotel in Pennsylvania or elsewhere in the U.S. or in a foreign country, you are expecting your stay to be as pleasant and enjoyable as you can hope for. But let’s not forget that hotels are huge operations, which is why hotel accidents do happen. A housekeeper forgets to put up the “Caution! Wet floor!” sign, a security guard forgets to close the front door for the night and several guests end up getting robbed, or a cook at the hotel’s restaurant forgets to check the expiration date on a package of salmon and uses it to cook a meal, which causes food poisoning in several guests.
Do not get us wrong. We are not trying to defend negligent or careless hotels, nor are we trying to say that you cannot sue a hotel if one of its staff members makes a mistake that causes your injury. In fact, you can and should sue them for injuries caused in hotel accidents, and you may require help from an experienced hotel accident attorney in Philadelphia to do everything the right way.
Causes of hotel accidents
Many of you might wonder what are the most common types of negligence on the part of hotels and their staff members that cause injury to guests. You can sue a hotel under the legal theory of premises liability, which will require you to demonstrate evidence that (a) the hotel owed you a duty of care, (b) that duty was breached, (c) that breach of duty caused or contributed to your hotel accident-related injury. A hotel can breach a duty of care by doing any of the following:
- Providing inadequate security
- Improper maintenance of highly-trafficked walkways
- Failure to clean up spills and other slip-and-fall hazards on the premises in a timely manner
- Failure to eliminate other types of slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall hazards on the premises in a timely manner
- Failure to provide adequate lightning in all areas
- Failure to properly inspect and maintain machines, equipment, electronics, furniture and other elements, parts, and components found on the premises
- Failure to ensure guests’ safety in swimming pools (inadequate life-guarding or lack thereof, not having the “No Diving” sign, etc…)
- Causing food poisoning to guests
- Failure to get rid of bed bugs or other pests and
- Failure to provide a safe environment for guests
Regardless of what caused your hotel accident injury, do not hesitate to speak to our Philadelphia hotel accident lawyer from Dan Doyle Law Group to discuss your case. Let us determine liability and help you file a premises liability lawsuit against the hotel to recover damages. Call our offices for a free case evaluation.