Dogs are everywhere, but you should never have to worry about getting bitten due to the negligence or carelessness of a dog’s owner. If you or a loved one have been injured by a dog, you may be entitled to compensation. At the Dan Doyle Law Group, we are going to investigate every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you deserve. Let out knowledgeable and experienced dog attack lawyers get to work on your case today.
What can happen when a dog bites someone?
Dogs are arguably the most popular pets in the country. With more than 90 million dogs in US households, around half of all homes have at least one dog. However, dog bites occur more often than most people realize.
- Dogs bite around 4.5 million dog bites in the US each year.
- The CDC says that nearly 1 in 5 people bitten by a dog require medical attention.
In many cases, a dog bite is minor, and little care is needed. However, there are times when a dog bite can be devastating for the victim. Dogs have very powerful jaws that can inflict serious damages. This includes:
- Severe soft tissue injuries
- Severed ligaments, veins, and arteries
- Broken bones
Older adults and young children are most susceptible to serious injuries as a result of a dog bite because they cannot easily fight back or getaway. More than half of all dog bite victims are children. However, anyone can be caught off guard and injured.
What causes these incidents?
Some dog bites are truly nobody’s fault. A person could be bitten by a startled dog or if someone reaches for the dog’s food bowl. However, there are times when dog bites occur due to the dog owner’s negligence. This can happen if:
- A dog is allowed to roam around outside without a leash on, often in violation of local leash laws.
- A dog that is known to be aggressive is allowed to mingle with other dogs and people.
- Dog owners fail to properly secure their dogs on their property. This can include failing to close a fence, a kennel, or a house door.
If you or a loved one have been bitten or attacked by a dog, you should contact animal control or police to report the incident.
We are ready to move your case forward
If you or someone you care about has been injured by a dog bite or attack, you may be entitled to compensation for what happened. In many cases, these incidents happen due to the careless or negligent actions of a dog’s owner. At the Dan Doyle Law Group, we are going to investigate what happened in order to secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the bite
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the dog’s owner