Falls are the most common cause of emergency room visits in the U.S. while slipping on a wet or slippery surface is the reason why the vast majority of falls occur. Falls result in approximately 8 million hospital emergency room visits each year.

In most cases, slip and fall accidents fall under the legal doctrine known as premises liability. When a property owner, occupier, or their employees fail to keep their premises safe and secure (i.e., removing ice from the walkways, cleaning up spills on the floor, or placing the “Warning!” sign after mopping the floor), they create a risk of injury.

When you get injured as a result of such negligence, you should seek legal help from a slip and fall attorney. Here at Dan Doyle Law Group, we know how to determine when someone else is legally responsible for your slip and fall injury.

Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?

You can end up in a hospital with a slip and fall injury after visiting any type of property. Some of the most common places of occurrence of these accidents are:

  • Swimming pools;
  • Public restrooms;
  • Sidewalks and curbs;
  • Grocery stores;
  • Apartment complexes;
  • Shopping malls;
  • Elevators and escalators;
  • Parking lots;
  • Movie theaters;
  • Office buildings;
  • Hotels; and
  • Beauty salons.

That is a non-exhaustive list, as a slip and fall accident can occur pretty much on any private or public property. Regardless of the type of the property where your accident occurred, and regardless of who owns, occupies, or controls the premises, you may have a right to pursue a premises liability claim.

A Bensalem slip and fall accident lawyer can help you determine the most optimal legal recourse for getting compensation for your damages and losses, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and others.

Does the Type of Property Where I Fell Matter?

Yes, it does. Under Pennsylvania law, responsibilities owed to visitors and customers by owners of various types of property vary depending on your reason for being on the property. Also, determining the type of property (residential, commercial, or public) where your slip and fall injury occurred will play a fundamental role in your premises liability case.

Do I Have a Case if I Slip and Fall in My Apartment Complex?

The landlord or a company responsible for the inspection and maintenance of the apartment complex where you live can be held liable for your slip and fall injury if they failed to inspect, maintain, or repair parts of the property under their control.

In fact, you may even have a right to sue your landlord for injuries suffered inside your apartment as long as the landlord created the condition that caused the injury, failed to remedy it through reasonable inspection, or failed to warn you of the hazard.

What if I Slipped and Fell on a Public Property?

Things become more complicated if your slip and fall accident occurred on public or government property. Being represented by a Bensalem slip and fall accident attorney is critical in this situation because you will have to face many legal obstacles and challenges when trying to obtain compensation.

One of such challenges in the legal requirement to file a tort claim notice with the government entity that was responsible for the maintenance or control of the premises within 90 days after the date of the injury. Failure to file the notice in time may cause you to lose your right to sue the government entity.

Talk to our slip and fall accident lawyers from Dan Doyle Law Group to discuss your case and discover the most optimal legal recourse to obtain the maximum compensation.

Call at 215-987-3730 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation.